Saturday, January 21, 2012

Passive Aggressive Dog?


So, I mentioned that I am not passive aggressive. I am a fairly direct person. Well, my dog Mally may be passive aggressive. He like to make me figure out what he wants.

He likes to howl. He will lay on his bed in the middle of the living room and howl.

He may need to go outside for a potty break. He won't go to the back door when he wants out, he just howls, while staying on his bed in the middle of the living room floor.

He may be hungry. He won't go to his food bowl, he just howls, while staying on his bed in the middle of the living room floor. Even though there may be food left in his bowl.

He may be thirsty. He won't go to his water bowl, he just howls, while staying on his bed in the middle of the living room floor.

He may want to go for a walk. He won't go to the front door, he just stays on howls while staying on his bed in the middle of the living room floor.

He may just want attention. He won't come to me unless I call him over, he just - well, you get the idea...

His howl is ear piercing, head splitting, sounds like someone is being killed, loud! It is hard to ignore. He will howl for about 5 minutes straight if I do ignore it. And most of the time I do.

Sometimes, the howling just gets louder and louder. And I worry that the neighbors will call the police thinking that I am performing animal sacrifices in my home! So, sometimes I do cave and give in to his howl. I know, it is rewarding the bad behavior. But, I do have to think of others.

I was told that the howling was a sign of intelligence. He is communicating with me. I wish that he would find another, quieter, way to communicate!

No comments:

Post a Comment