Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cold night and a Spooked Hound

I'm not one to turn on my furnace easily at the drop of temperatures. I grew up in the Midwest and I know cold weather. I will admit it's getting chilly here, but I refuse to turn on my furnace yet!

Last night Gemini was trying to get under some covers in his crate, so I decided to get another blanket for both the dogs. I turned on the light, made sure I had Gemini's attention, and laid another blanket on him. All was well.

Heater's turn. I thought he was awake. I laid a blanket over him. He shot up, tried to get into the crate with Gemini, jumped on my bed, jumped off my bed and paced the room. I scared the poor boy. I called him back to me, and petted him a bit, got him to lay back down, put the blanket back on him and the same thing. I think I scared him so bad with the blanket that he was having nothing to do with it. Poor Heater. Maybe he lives up to his name and doesn't need the blanket on a cold night....

6 comments:

  1. Poor Heater...He must not have been too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird.... I guess he just doesn't like to be covered up.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he know Halloween is just around the corner and thought the blankie was a ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma, too, is weird about being covered with blankets. I may have to try some clicker training; yesterday, I successfully covered her for ~ 20 minutes before she jumped up...usually she freaks immediately. Very important that the blanket/fleece does not have ANY static electricity... she hates that sensation of little pricks...as does my horse with his winter blankets or synthetic grooming brushes. I figure Emma will either adapt or figure out some other way to stay warm...she can't curl up much tighter. ;-) Good luck with letting Heater figure it out...maybe he'll observe Gemini and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three of mine had their blankets over them last night. It was that or their jammies but I thought it wasn't cold enough for that. And, yes, they have jammies. Hopefully Heater will warm up (no pun intended) to the idea of using a blanket. Or how about some jammies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Limo sleeps under the covers between matt and I... Peanut doesn't seem to want or need any covers yet. Spooky used to put her head under the covers I gave her, bu seemed to hate being "covered up" on her body.

    ReplyDelete